The NeuroScience and TMS Treatment Centers sponsored the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s (AFSP) Out of Darkness Walk this past Saturday.
The Out of the Darkness Walks are proof that when people work together they can make big changes in the world. They are AFSP’s largest fundraiser and as such: 1)produce millions for suicide prevention programs, 2)unite those who have been affected by suicide, and 3)create communities that are smart about services to help individuals suffering from brain illnesses.
It was so moving to see so many people celebrating their loved ones, and providing hope to others. This photo, that Dr Cochran took during the walk, gives a glimse into the number of people who attended the Nashville, Tennessee walk in Two Rivers Park near Opryland Hotel.
Suicide is preventable if people know how to talk about it, and how to get individuals help. Here are a few of the resources we give to help individuals get help:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-TALK (8255)
FREE local- Nashville- Crisis Hotline at (615) 244-7444
National Crisis Text line 741741
Also, if you are in imminent danger, don’t hesitate to use 911
Other important numbers which could be helpful for you or another friend/family member are:
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: +1 (800) 799-7233
- Family Violence Helpline: +1 (800) 996-6228
- National Hopeline Network: +1 (800) 784-2433
- Self-Harm Hotline: +1 (800) 366-8288
- Planned Parenthood Hotline: +1 (800) 230-7526
- American Association of Poison Control Centers: +1 (800) 222-1222
- Alcoholism & Drug Dependency Hope Line: +1 (800) 622-2255
- National Crisis Line, Anorexia and Bulimia: +1 (800) 233-4357
- LGBT Hotline: +1 (888) 843-4564
- TREVOR Crisis Hotline: +1 (866) 488-7386
- AIDS Crisis Line: +1 (800) 221-7044
- The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: +1 (800) 422-4453
- The Trans Lifeline: +1 (877) 565-8860